How do you afford to travel?

In the past year we have travelled throughout Australia, New Zealand, South East Asia and India and the most common question we are asked:

"How do you afford to travel?" 

The answer is simple. 
Travel is our priority. 


Alex and I both worked casually, and for the last year I was studying full time and we still easily funded our trips 100% ourselves. 

We can afford to travel and so can you! 

1. Make small cuts
Instead of going out for an expensive dinner with friends, opt for a night in with a home cooked meal. 
Instead of buying that new item of clothing that you don't truly need, save that money you would've spent by putting it into another account. Making small sacrifices like a coffee a day or getting your nails done weekly can save you a lot of money.  You'd be amazed at how much money you can save by cutting out the small things. E.g a cup of standard sized coffee cost $4.50. A week that equates to $31.50 and a year $1,638. That money from that small sacrifice can go a long way!

2. Set a savings goal each week 
Each week set an amount of money that you will put away. Many banks have the option of automatic withdrawals to put into selected accounts. For example on my pay day my bank withdraws a certain set amount of money from my spending account and transfers it into my savings account. If I can afford to transfer a bit of extra money into my savings account I will. 

3. Open a savings account with interest 
This is an easy way to earn money on your own money. Many banks offer interest on Savings accounts and give interest if you don't withdraw from the account, thus promoting saving. For example: if I put away $200 a month and don't withdraw from my savings account the bank will give me a certain percentage of my balance in interest. 



"Travel is the only thing you can buy that will make you richer" 


"Buy the ticket, take the ride" 

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask. 







1 comments:

  1. Hi Emily! I am about to graduate high school and my whole being throbs to travel. I have an after school job and I set a little money aside each paycheck. But how do you go about it? (I have a passport) There are so many places in this world I want to go, but never having done it before it's a little overwhelming trying to figure out how to do it! I know it's impossible to travel without having a job to support it, but how do I make money yet take off of work to travel and pay for it? When I graduate in 107 days I'm going to feel like I have the world at my fingertips! My email is carteramanda654@gmail.com if you have any advice for me :) I'm appreciative for any I can get!

    ReplyDelete

 

INSTAGRAM

About

Budget travel advice from the lousiest beatniks that wander on this land.